Friday, November 30, 2012

It Takes Time

Writing takes time - a lot of it. The majority of that time is spent thinking. That's all. Just thinking. For every minute I've spent physically writing I've spent 10, 20, 30 minutes, an hour, a day or even longer thinking about what to write. After I decide what I will write I spend more time considering how I will write it. When I say I've spent the night writing it's quite possible I haven't actually written a single word. Or, I've written one paragraph or a page or a chapter a hundred different ways and then scraped the entire thing in order to think some more. Add to that the fatigue from lack of sleep, fended off by highly-caffeinated beverages, missed meals here and there and one too many help-me-find-my-inspiration cocktails and the voices in my head can get pretty loud. This is the insanity of it, of writing. Those voices often recall previously forgotten or repressed memories, which make me think even more, which almost always leads to an idea for another story, and so begins another cycle. Writing is very cathartic when it finally gets out of you and onto the paper exactly as you see it in your mind. Until then it's like being haunted. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd be lost if it wasn't this way.
~ Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment